Tuesday, December 2, 2008

ACCESS Project and What I Have Learned

ACCESS Project
For this class one of our assignments was to go and observe and access lab. A week ago I observed the one at Daphne High School. Daphne High has the web-based lab and the IVC lab. IVC is done through videoconferencing. I talked about the pros and cons with the installment of this program.
One problem that we discussed was the limited schedule of available courses. Daphne High is located in Baldwin County Alabama and the county board of education restricts the number of classes and the type of classes that the students can pick from, but the state board of education states that by next year all students must take an ACCESS class. Another problem is the state did not give the school enough computers for all their students, yet they just tell the schools to deal with it and fulfill the requirements. Another problem is with the scheduling of the classes. It is hard for two of the schools to have the same time period open for which to conduct an ACCESS lab. The instructor told me that in theory the program is a good one, but in practice there are several things that need to be improved upon and rethought. He said that once they can find more money and get all the above problems worked out that they program could quite possibly become more effective. I have talked with other instructors who feel the same, ACCESS could be very useful and a great program when all the problems and kinks are worked out.

What I Have Learned
This semester we went over many things in this class. We talked about and used Google in the classroom. We also learned about using databases and word processing. The main thing that i had not had experience with was pod casting and blogging. These two areas were the most interesting areas to me. The uses that they can possibly serve in the classroom are incredible. I especially enjoyed working with and learning about using them.
In this class I wish we could have learned a little more about Microsoft. Even though Google can and will be very useful, Microsoft is still what is worked with in most school and business settings. I wish we had discussed it in a little more detail so that we would be more knowledgeable about it in the future.
I thoroughly enjoyed this class. The people were great and we had a fun time learning the information that was taught to us. I hope that I can use what I have learned to benefit me in the future as a teacher.

No comments: